Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th - Red Velvet Bundt Recipe

OK, it's September 11th, and yeah.....11 years ago was a bad day for Americans, and pretty much all people that desire peace.

I am not bright enough to address world politics or global strategies, instead....I'll take this post in another direction.

Today is Tuesday....September 11th and Bob Dylan is dropping his what?

Like his 900th album?

It is called Tempest, and some have pointed out that The Tempest was Shakespeare's last work.

Is Bob telling us something.

I have decided that after work I will go out and get this CD and come home and bake.

I won't have the TV on...because I simply don't want to hear Wolf Blitzer or Rush what's his head add the political commentary.

I'm gonna share the recipe I'll be working on, and if you cats care to join me.....hop on.

Congratulations on your album Bob.

The following recipe was baked for me recently by my dear friend Kim Ode.

Tunnel of Rhubarb Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Adapted from the "Kiss My Bundt Cookbook."

Cake:
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon high-fat cocoa powder
Filling:
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1/3 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (not low-fat)
1 egg, beaten
½ cup powdered sugar

To roast rhubarb, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange rhubarb in a shallow baking dish or pie plate and sprinkle with 1/3 cup powdered sugar. Roast for about 20 minutes, stirring once, until rhubarb soft. Scrape into a small bowl and set aside to cool.
Mix together cream cheese, beaten egg and ½ cup powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in rhubarb.

Thoroughly coat a bundt pan with shortening, such as Crisco, then dust with flour, tapping out the excess. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring slowly to avoid lumps.
Pour about 2/3 thirds of the batter into the prepared bundt pan, then carefully spoon the rhubarb mixture in a circle, making sure it doesn’t touch the pan. Cover with remaining batter.
Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until cake begins to pull away from the sides and springs back lightly when touched. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes – no longer – then invert onto serving plate. Let cool thoroughly before slicing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, DK. Remember the first go-round like it was yesterday; can't bear to watch it all over tv again today. I'll be preheating my ovens.

    ReplyDelete