Friday, October 19, 2012

Deconstructing the Muffaletta

Everytime I hear people speak about New Orleans.....my curiousity peaks.

I once rode a bus through the Big Easy, stopped at smorgasbord.....and then off to Biloxi I went.

But that was the extent of my short lived stay.

No romance there huh?

Most of the people I have discussed New Orleans either Love It....or Hate It.

Jason Walstrom, my tattoo guy (Sea Wolf Tattoo Company) did most of his training there.

When he starts talking about it......you'll eith Love...or Hate him LOL.

When New Orleans is mentioned....a lot of people will discuss the food and the music, but Jason.....he seems to value the people the most.

On the other hand is my friend Brutus.

Brutus and I used to do night club comedy back in the 90's.

Brutus lives his life to "dance" with pretty girls and party.

He's that "Vegas" guy many of you work with at the office.

On Monday morning, you might see him approaching the water cooler and then ask how he made out in Sin City...

And you know his response will always be the same.........

"Let's just say the trip paid for itself."

Anyways......Brutus hates New Orleans, it is his contention that it is just Vegas with an ashtray for a floor, and vampires as a populace.

This morning I was speaking with a chef who requested muffaletta's.

From my scattered bread history, this is kinda a Big Easy bread....maybe it came over with the French, but anyways.......

As me and the bakers discussed our perception of what the primo muffaletta was (before engaging Google), we came up with 8 inches wide, 2 inches tall, usually an Italian bread dough, but olive oil is the mandatory fat.

Also we were in agreement sesame seeds were the typical garnish, but Hennessy chimed in.....

"Not Nessisarily."

........Pastry Chefs.......sigh, LOL

So with that said, here is your chance to chime in and give your opinion(s), I know you L.A.B. Rats are full of them, so get to work.

Thanks

The last American Baker

5 comments:

  1. When I lived in New Orleans, I only ate at Central Grocery once for a muffaletta- when I first moved there. While it was tasty, it was always too busy for me to go back, as I hate to wait in line. The bread was like an Italian bread. Except round with sesame seeds on the top. When I've made muffalettas at home for people who have never been to New Orleans, I make it in my 8" round cake pan.

    I agree with Jason- it's the people. All my fondest memories and times spent in NOLA I was surrounded by an amazing, talented, friendly, & creative group of people.

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up in Baton Rouge and spending years in New Orleans as a chef I can tell you the Muff bread is extremely difficult to duplicate because of the weather conditions and the good old Mississippi River water used to make it with. Central Grocery sets the standard and sells the most. It has a crunch to the crust that I have never been able to duplicate. It's my opinion that the muff started as a way to sell the famous Italian olive relish that goes on top of the sliced meats and cheeses. That is a state secret that the family will take to their grave I guarantee. Lots of restaurants imitate but rarely duplicate it. You just have to go and see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Central grocery Muffalettas are hands down the bees knees. What I would give to have that for lunch right now.

    ReplyDelete