Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cocktails and Jail Time

Usually, every couple of days, I like to check this Blog's traffic site to tell me what countries are reading / participating in my baking antics.

I can tell you for instance that the Ukraine was spiking hard during the end of 2012, but now Spain seems to be mounting a charge.

It seems almost magical that I have an international platform where I can discuss baking with people on every coerner of the globe, but truth be told........

Sometimes I forget many of you live in different settings than I do.

Recently I receaved a story of the A.P. that I am about to share with you.

It was sent to me from one of the most insperational bakers I know......

A guy from Holland.

A man who is gay.

Now where I live, you don't need to mention a persons sexual orientation.

There might be laws that bind the gay comunity in America, but most members of the American populace don't even think twice about whose people partners are.

But I remeber when I was in Moscow, wearing a light blue Arrow button down shirt, my interpreter alerted me......

"Daniel, if you wear this in public, they will think you like men in a special way."

I kind of laughed, I wasn't all that concered about people perception of who I slept with, but then the interpreter got nervous and informed me.....

"You do not understand perhaps. In my city, if you walk down the streets like that, it is not certain, but possible you will be damaged."

Then she went on to explain to me how just several weeks prior some of Moscows Gay Community had a peaceful march, but were met head on by local police who had allied with skin heads.

The gays were beaten severely, and many, if not most were hospitalized.

Sometimes I hear things like this, and because I live where I live, I assume these stories are few and far inbetween.

But maybe not.

As many of you are aware, the is civil unrest at this moment in India over the torture-gang rape, and eventually murder of a young woman......

Polish Christ.....hear our prayers.

I very much love my Dutch baking friend.

Although we have never met in person, his life has inspired mine.

Therefore I would like to pass on a link he sent to me, and if you like......

Get Mad and Yell at the world.................

We simply cannot permit things like this to occur.

Remember.......DAMAGED AND OPTIMISTIC.........

We can and will make a difference L.A.B. Rats!


Cameroon men convicted of 'looking gay' by drinking Bailey's Irish Cream have sentenced overturned

Cameroon men convicted of 'looking gay' by drinking Bailey's Irish Cream have sentenced overturned

A Cameroon court judge has overturned the conviction of two men who were sentenced for five years in prison for “looking gay” and ordering Bailey’s Irish Cream.

Photograph by: Courtesy , Wikimedia commons

DOUALA, Cameroon — A court has overturned the conviction of two men who were sentenced for five years in prison for “looking gay” and ordering Bailey’s Irish Cream.
The Court of Appeals Monday acquitted the men and ordered their release. The two men had already spent more than a year in jail where they were subjected to abuse from guards and other prisoners, according to human rights advocates.
The new ruling has been hailed by human rights lawyers and gay rights advocates who urged President Paul Biya to release all other prisoners found guilty under the country’s harsh anti-gay laws.
On Dec. 17, a Cameroonian court upheld the five-year-sentence of another man, Roger Jean-Claude Mbede, who was convicted of sending a text message that said “I love you” to another man.


-   end   -

8 comments:

  1. Klecko, the more I read of you, the more I believe you are one of the most evolved people I have ever met, and I thank God you know how to put it in words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. disdainfulbeauty, thank you for such kind words, however......i pretty much get tired of me, everyday by 3 p.m. :)

      Delete
  2. Dude, this is a great analogy for what it's like to be a Canadian living in the USA!

    I'm beyond shocked at how obsessed people are with who is sleeping with who, and how horribly gay people are treated here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, some of my American mates can be pretty unruly, I apoligize on their behalf. As close as I am to the border, I am ashamed that I have yet to make it to Canada. All I hear is house splendid it is up there, I really must make it a priority....thanks for shouting out.

      Delete
  3. In Uganda they are passing laws that may put to death anyone criticizing existing anti-gay laws that put people to death. It is mass anti-gay hysteria there. http://americablog.com/2012/12/uganda-anti-gay-law-would-put-to-death-any-who-criticize-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this Klecko! Even if I am living an almost hassle free live myself in Amsterdam in total freedom when it comes to these things, every time I read this sort of shocking news (incarcerated for a year awaiting a trial because of 'looking gay') I die a little (well, damaged but optimistic is better).
    The thing is, I've seen things turn around in my lifetime. More and more of these stories are emerging. Not only in countries far away where you sort of expect to b in trouble. Closer to home it isn't very different.
    As an individual I can't really do anything about it, but an article like this helps more than anything!

    As to the previous comment: yes, Uganda is now passing laws to make homosexuality a capital crime. There are numerous other African countries where the same laws are in place. And they use em too.

    thanks again Klecko, one day we will meet!

    Freerk (breadlab)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polish Jesus.....hear our prayers. I get it that people are insane, but to legalize insanity is a whole other deal. Freerk...when we do meet, i want it to be on your turf, when the tulip season kicks in. When is that??? April?

      Delete