Friday, June 8, 2012

The Man with the Golden Borsht

Attention all Chefs -

Attention all Cooks -

Attention all Bakers, Foodies, Posers and Children of God.........

Let me take just the briefest of moments to intro my newest favorite person that I've met in awhile.

Her name is Lisa Zara.....and this woman flat out knows how to cook.

Recently I can into her Blog Site, and how often do I promote other sites....like once every 100-200 posts?

Well the wait is over.

For the last couple of days I've been musing over her concepts concerning green chili, and after smashing my head on a brick wall, I think I almost caught up to her.

But just when I was ready to take a breather.....this diamond in the rough starts preaching the gospel of (Get This......)

GOLDEN BORSCHT!

At first I thought she was toying with me, there is no Big Foot, there is no Loch Ness Monster,and the certainly is no such thing as Golden Borscht...right?

Well, Lisa ended up sending a link over to me, I ended up sending it over to StarTribune "TASTE" columnist Kim Ode, and the 2 of us giggled and marveled at Zara's project.

So you know I love borscht as the Polish Lord loves Warsaw kittens, so I pretty much groveled and begged Lisa Zarra to write something up for you L.A.B. Rats.

She was kind enough to put the following together, so if you trust my judgment....check out her Blog.

It's called.......................

"YOU EAT LIKE THAT EVERY DAY?"

Let's see what Lisa Zara has to say.

"Danny Klecko,I would love to share with your audience, thanks for having me as a guest blogger.

So the story is, our friend Stephanie is from a Ukrainian family, so this is her recipe, but she would generally make this with red beets. You need to cover your kitchen with garbage bags, and wear gloves, and you would still look like you worked in a slaughterhouse by the time you finished ! I came up with the idea to use the golden beets. So, while they still stain somewhat, it isn't that bad. You just look a bit jaundiced.

As for the golden beets, I call them the "Holy Grail" at the Farmers Market. They are usually tucked in with the red ones, at a ratio of about 10 to 1. I do know you can get them at Linden Hills Co-op for a pretty steep price, but they are worth it. They are a little less earthy tasting, and well, less "beet-y".

You can add a beef soup bone or cannellini beans if you like, but apparently the all vegetarian version is more traditional. And I personally like this better after it sits a day. Get some crusty bread, a little Dr. Zhivago, you are all set !

10 cups chicken stock
5-6 large golden beets, boiled, peeled and shredded (wear gloves!)
1 large onion, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, diced finely
2 stalks celery, diced finely
2 large potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
3 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Sour cream and fresh dill

In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock to a simmer. Add onion, beets and garlic, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add carrots, celery and potatoes, and simmer an additional 15 minutes. Add cabbage, and simmer just until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with sour cream and dill.

Thanks again Klecko for having me, and don't forget my mantra....

We really do eat fast, easy, made from scratch meals almost every day. It just takes a little planning, having ingredients on hand, and some creativity. Don't be afraid to try new things ! And, of course, read my blog !"

The End

Don't forget L.A.B. RATS...we are in Zara's debt, take a second out and check out her Blog, or be smart like me and subscribe to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment