Sunday, August 19, 2012

Cowboys, and Cookies (Recipe Enclosed)

Sometimes my life becomes completely intrenched in routine.

As a middle age man, that could be considered a comfort zone.

Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, or maybe a random happenstance, something will occur and "WHOOSH" through the time machine I go, and there before my eyes sits a past memory staring me in the face.

Today's memory not only stared at me, but it made me chuckle.

After dropping off 4 dogs at the vet by 7 a.m. for bi annual comps, I stopped at my coffee shop (the Bean Factory) for the usual.

Today Shane was the Coffee guy.

He's been Coffee guy many times when I've stopped by over the last year, but today....a thunderbolt hit me.

"Hey Shane" I said......

"I think Shane was the first book I ever read, not counting Dr Suess and Where the Wild Things Are.".

Shane is 19, and although he lives in a different generation than me, I had to ask...

"Hey Shane....how often do people say it?"

I didn't even have to mention what I was talking about.....

(for those of you from Trinidad or Holland, I should fill you in. One of the most famous lines from any Hollywood movie came at the end of this classic Western when the kid screams out to Alan Ladd..."Shane come back." and it's kinda a tear jerker.)

Shane topped of my double shot depth charge and said....

"If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...I would have a few dimes. That is for sure."

Isn't that funny?

The movie came out in the early 1950's and it still has a script with pull quotes strong enough to capture America's youth 60 years later.

I have never been a quick reader, or one who you might consider "Well Read", but I do read well and often times in spirts.

As a child my mother would sit at the kitchen table and read paperback books and smoke Merit's.

At the end of a session, there would be enough butts to fill 1/2 a pop can.

I'll new forget how she and her friend Sandy read Sybil and The Exorcist together over the phone.

One woman would read a couple pages while the other smoked, and then they would rotate.

At some points they'd both be so scared they would whisper, and on a few occasions they screamed.

I would run out of my bedroom to see what happened, when I saw my mom was freaked out over a "Devil Book" I began to laugh.

Everybody read the Exorcist that summer.

Anyways, I am always interested in hearing what your first book was, and as I sign off....I'm gonna leave you a great cookie recipe.

It comes from First Lady Laura Bush's collection.

It is a Cowboy Cookie.

But even though we are in an election year, reserve your political comments, in the L.A.B. space we are respectful in our kitchens and First Ladies are hands off........

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened flake coconut
2 cups chopped pecans


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.

In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars; beat to combine, 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla extract.

Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.

For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake for 17 to 19 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment